Monday, 11 July 2016

The highs and the lows......

Wow what a weekend it was at Queensland Raceway for Round 3 of the Australasian Superbike Championships. I always say that there is something to be learned each time you throw a leg over a motorcycle.... the weekend's racing didn't disappoint in that respect.

 
(Photograph: Billleigh Photography)

FRIDAY:
Practice of Friday went off without hitch. I bought myself a present in the form of a new rear Mupo shock (not too many girls that would rate that as a present hahahaha). We put it in first thing in the morning Friday which really changed the handling characteristics of the ZX10. It felt much nippier and steered much faster. After making a few adjustments for a faster steering bike I could feel my confidence growing with every lap.

I put in my fastest lap in practice 4 right before qualifying which was great. In qualifying a little slower but happy with the way I was riding.

SATURDAY:
Saturday racing was fun and eventful. Race 1 went great but was a little off the pace and I quickly worked out there is no time for easing into the race, you have to be ready to rumble from the get go. So in race 2 I decided to forget my manners coming into turn 1 and get amongst it! I got a little over excited and jumped the start - 15 second time penalty imposed!!!!

Race 3 the fun and games continued... and some light entertainment for those watching. Again I got a bit too eager when I saw Damian Sutton jumping the start beside me. I then of course lost all concentration and dumped the clutch, popped a wheelie and stalled it. A dodgy clutch switch (which we later identified) was preventing me from starting the bike in gear and neutral is a little difficult to get.... so that was the end of that. I had to unceremoniously push my bike off the track. Let me just say that its heavy.... grass does not help. Then to add insult to injury I dropped my glove into the tyre wall. Of course, the tyre wall has small tyres which are stacked quite high. I discretely tried to remove my helmet and then had up end myself into the tyres to reach my gloves. My mechanic was watching laughing his head off at me of course knowing what I had done. Oh the humiliation!!!! I can only imagine how funny it looked. Please, please let the full horror not be on television!!!

SUNDAY:
Sunday was a new day and I was bright eyed and ready to race.... no one remembers my stuff up do they? Yes they do.... its on facebook of course!!! So by this point, I have copped a fair ribbing off the team and I can laugh about it. Until race 1.....when I did it again.... what the? Can someone come out and show me how to ride a motorcycle again? I just about dropped the bike on the grid and stormed off. I was ready for a full blown dummy spit. I was very unimpressed with myself. Luckily the cameras cannot hear the yelling and swearing that was going on. Hmmmmm.

So a closer inspection of the clutch reveals that the clutch switch was a bit dodgy and it was stopping me from restarting the bike on the grid and regaining any chance of dignity!!! It was also a little out of adjustment which wasn't making life any easier but full responsibility rests here with the over eager operator!

Race 2, I went out with a bit of a 'bee in my bonnet' looking for redemption and I got stuck in. I rode as hard as I could, probably the fastest I have ever ridden that bike and I did a PB with a 1:19:108!!!! I stuck with he pack for several laps and I was lapping consistently at that pace.

Race 3 was uneventful but a little slower. I tried some slightly different lines around the track which felt better but probably being the first time I tried them I was about 1 to 2 sec a lap slower. I will keep those in the memory banks for next time.

THE WRAP UP:
So I got a great opportunity to participate in an interview which will be seen on SBS Speedweek. I was a bit nervous but I think I held it together:)

I've also realised that I have made some serious progress since last round. My first objective has been achieved - I didn't get lapped once by the front runners!!!! In fact, the closest they came was 100 metres in race 1. After that there was no stopping me and they weren't even close. In fact in the two Sunday races I was in touch with the other D grade guys..... I'm so close to mixing it with them..... they are just a sniff away. Bring on Sydney 9th & 10th September. There is much work to be done between now and then and I cant wait!!!

Again special thanks to JPM Cranes for their support through the highs and lows of learning all things racing it means the world to me. BC Performance for their help always and of course Andrew my mechanic. You are a star!


2 comments:

  1. Great read. Glad you had fun and learned more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read. Glad you had fun and learned more!

    ReplyDelete